If your trip to St Kilda is delayed due to the weather, there are plenty of ways to pass time on Harris. Here are skipper Seumas’ personal recommendations:
- All of the beaches on the West Coast of Harris are amazing! Luskentyre is rated number one on Trip Advisor and is well worth a stroll. One of my favourites is Huisinis beach, which involves a stunning drive through the foothills of the North Harris mountains and then through the front garden of Amhuinnsuidhe Castle. The sand beach is at the end of the road facing the Atlantic to the right. Take a short connecting path over the isthmus to the left which takes you to a rocky beach and the jetty for Scarp. Glimpses of St. Kilda can be seen from some of the high points of this road and the North Harris Eagle Observatory is well worth a visit - it’s a 30-minute walk off the road. Northton Beach is another good call, which must include popping into Temple Cafe for some of their delicious home cooking, especially if you have walked out to the ruins of the temple, a medieval chapel overlooking the Sound of Harris.
- A drive down the East coast of Harris is another must. There are several galleries on the way, and I recommend stopping at Ardbuidhe Cottage Gallery or Skoon Café. You will also pass Harris Tweed & Knitwear and the Harris Tweed Company. St Clements Church in Rodel is at the south end of this road and is another visitor favourite.
- Climb the Clisham, the highest hill in the Outer Hebrides at 799 metres, which on a clear day offers amazing views from the tip of Lewis all the way down to Uist, with Harris in between. You can also view St Kilda on a good day.
- The new Isle of Harris Distillery and Visitor Centre in the centre of Tarbert should not be missed when it opens in summer 2015. Beside it is the main shop and store of Harris Tweed, with possibly the largest collection of tweeds in the Hebrides. As well as the cafe in the distillery, Tarbert has plenty of choices for something to eat within a short distance. The Harris Hotel, Hotel Hebrides & First Fruits Tearoom are all available for teas, coffees, light snacks and main meals.
- Cross the bridge to Scalpay, which until recently was the longest single-span bridge in Europe. Take a stroll out to Scalpay Lighthouse, and call into the North harbour Bistro on the way back to re-energise.
Art & Photography
St. Kilda Soay Sheep Project
Internet guide to Scotland (Isle of Harris)
Explore Harris (Various Information about Harris)
The Islands Book Trust
Skoon Art Cafe
Island Man - Scottish Island Adventurer
Isle of Harris Knitwear
Isle of Harris Tweed Shop
Isle of Harris Golf Club
Hebridean Celtic Music Festival
Guide to wildlife holidays in Scotland
Guide to Birdlife in Hebrides
Wild West Safari
Welcome to the Outer Hebrides a comprehensive guide to almost everything there is to see and do in the Outer Hebrides.
Where to stay in Outer Hebrides a comprehensive guide on where to stay in the Outer Hebrides.